B-2 VISA – PLEASURE OR MEDICAL TREATMENT VISITOR
Generally, a foreign national who wishes to come to the United States must first obtain a visa. An individual can apply for one of two types of visas: a nonimmigrant visa for those who wish to enter the United States on a temporary basis, or an immigrant visa for those coming to the United States for obtaining permanent residency.
A visa allows a foreign national to travel to any port-of-entry in the United States and request permission of a U.S. immigration inspector to enter the U.S.
The B-2 visitor visa is also referred to as the “tourist” visa. Foreign nationals who wish to enter the United States for recreation and pleasure or for medical treatment often use it. If your intention is to enter the United States for business purposes please click here for information on the B-1 Visa for business visitors.
A B2 visa may also be used to enter the United States for certain types of study. Usually, student visas are only given to students attending full-time academic or vocational programs at a United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) approved institution. But if one is traveling to the U.S. primarily for tourism, but while in the U.S. they want to take a short course of study that is recreational and not for credit towards a degree, and the course is less than 18 hours per week, then this is allowed on a B2 visa. An example of this is if one is taking a vacation to the U.S., and during that time they wish to take a two-day cooking class for their enjoyment, and no credit is earned, then this would be permitted on a B2 visa.
While it is possible for individuals to use a B2 visa (visitor visa) for participating in certain types of recreational or part-time study, students should always check with the school or program they wish to attend and with the U.S. consular officer in their home country to determine if they are definitely able to use a tourist visa for their specific school or program.
Note: Individuals planning to travel to the U.S. for a different reason such as students, temporary workers, crewmen, journalists, etc., must apply for a different visa that is appropriate for their specific category. If an individual is planning to come to the United States for a course of study that is 18 hours or more a week and credited towards a degree, then they will need a student visa. Also, when one intends to travel to the U.S. to attend seminars or conferences to obtain credit towards a degree, then they too will need a student visa.
THE DEFINITION OF A B-2 VISA:
The visitor visa is a nonimmigrant visa for individuals desiring to enter the United States on a temporary basis for pleasure or medical treatment (B2 Visa).
WHO WOULD NEED A B-2 VISA:
- Individuals who wish to come to the U.S. as tourists.
- Individuals who wish to visit friends and relatives in the U.S. for a short time.
- Individuals who need to come to the U.S. for medical treatment.
- Foreign nationals who are coming to the U.S. to marry a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder, upon establishing with the consular official and the USCIS that after the marriage, individuals will depart from the U.S., even though intending ultimately to immigrate.
- Amateur athletes, musicians etc. who will participate in their respective activities in the U.S without any compensation.
- Individuals coming to the U.S. to participate in conventions organized by social organizations.
- Dependents of foreign national members of the U.S. armed forces temporarily assigned duty in the U.S.
- Dependents of crewmembers (D visa holders) or B-1 visa holders solely to accompany the principal foreign national, or dependents of nonimmigrants for which no derivative classification is available. For example, the elderly parent of an E visa holder.
- Individuals who wish to enter the U.S. to apply for special naturalization benefits on the basis of U.S. military service.
Note: Members of the foreign press, radio, film, journalists or other information media, engaging in that vocation while in the U.S., require a nonimmigrant Media (I) visa and will not be allowed travel to the U.S. using a visitor.
The process of applying for a B2 visa (visitor visa) involves careful preparation. It is important to present an error free application the first time, since it becomes very difficult, if not impossible, to successfully obtain a B-2 Visa (visitor visa) once an individual has been previously denied a visa. Errors on the B2 visa application process can make one permanently ineligible to visit the U.S. pursuant to a valid visa.
Give yourself the resources you need to make the most informed decisions about applying for the B-2 Visitor Visa. Find out how the process works, including how to present the strongest application possible and tips for a successful visa interview. Get all the information you need to successfully get your B2 visa the first time.
THE B-2 VISA E-BOOK CONTAINS:
- Qualifications and eligibility requirements;
- A detailed overview of the B-2 visa application process;
- All of the necessary application forms and guidance on how to complete the forms accurately and completely;
- Tips on how to successfully pass the visa interview, including establishing that your intended travel is temporary and you intend to return to your home country when your visa expires;
- How to apply for a waiver if you are ineligible for a visa;
- What to do if your visa is denied;
- How to extend your status once you are in the U.S.
You can also Check about the previous articles on how to get student Visa for countries like: US, UK, Canada, Australia, Malaysia, Belarus, Thailand, Cyprus, Belarus, Belize, Canadian, Netherlands, Australia, Switzerland, Dubai, Vietnam Ukraine ,Denmark , Brunei, Bolivia, Monaco, Liechtenstein , Slovenia, Luxembourg, Greece , Egypt, Argentina, Dubai , Australia, Canadian, Portugal, Croatia , South Korea Visa, Hungary, Slovakia, Chile, Czech, Zealand, China, Singapore, Israel, Peru, Hong Kong, Japan, Estonia, Kenya, Latvia, Guadeloupe, Luxembourg, and others. Just click the country of your choice above or read from our Study Abroad section to read more. The aim of this article is to explain to you in details on how to get your student Visa from Nigeria.
Share this information with your friends. Also feel free to ask any questions pertaining to this Page Don’t forget to like us on Facebook Page