How to Apply for Scholarship in Nigeria
The essence of scholarship in Nigeria is to assist indigent students, some of which who are orphans and are zealous about education with corresponding intellectual prowess to complete their education with ease. It is also to reward the intelligence and hard work of some students who devote their all to the noble course of academics. How to Get Scholarship in Nigeria.
Scholarships in Nigeria are offered at the following levels on education; secondary, tertiary of which include first degree, masters programs as well as professional programs.
Some Regular Question People also ask
- How can I get a scholarship in Nigeria?
- How do I apply for scholarships in 2020?
- How can I obtain a scholarship?
- How can I get free scholarships?
- What are some easy scholarships to get?
Types of scholarship
Before knowing how to apply for scholarships, know the different types and categories of scholarship.
- In Nigeria, there are basically two classes of scholarship. Fully-funded scholarship and tuition-free scholarship.
- Full funded implies that the scholarship awarding body takes care of all financial needs of the student as long as he or she continues to maintain the academic standard until graduation.
- Tuition-free scholarship implies that the major fee which is tuition is taken care of by the organization leaving the student to cater to his or her other financial needs.
Who can Award scholarship in Nigeria
Scholarships are both an individual and an organization engagement. The following can award a scholarship to students in Nigeria. They are;
- The government. Federal and state government
- Prominent citizens or individuals
- Corporate organizations
- Religious organizations
All these and more render the benevolence in either of the two forms listed above.
How to Apply for Scholarship in Nigeria
The first thing is to know the documents often required to apply for scholarships in Nigeria, other qualification, and finally the procedures for application.
Important Documents Used for Scholarship Application.
There are a series of vital documents used for application for scholarships. Students seeking scholarship at all levels should know the ones peculiar to them and also adhere accordingly.
Important Documents Used for undergraduate scholarships are
These documents are to be uploaded alongside the application. They are;
- Passport photographs- candidates should ensure that the passport used for the application has a duplicate in case more copies are required.
- Admission Letter (From School or JAMB)
- School ID Card
- Local Government of Origin identification
- O’ Level Result
- JAMB Result
- Birth Certificate
- National Identification Number (NIN). This is optional in most cases.
Important Documents Used for Post-Graduate Scholarship schemes
Here, the required documents are likened to what a university requires of students applying for admission into the postgraduate programs. They are;
- Completed scholarship application form.
- Copy of passport/means of Identification
- Copies of transcripts of academic report/diplomas.
- Statement of purpose/Letter of motivation.
- Letter(s) of recommendation (1 or 2)
- A CV (Curriculum Vitae)/Resume.
- Standardized test scores
Additional Documents; Postgraduate
- Certificate of graduation/bachelor’s degree
- Certificate of graduation/master’s degree
- Research proposal
Know that documents required for international scholarships may differ from those listed above or more may be added to it.
For those seeking scholarships in Nigeria, There are approximately 71 ongoing scholarship programs in Nigeria, the most popular scholarship application website is Scholastica.ng. Candidates can visit this site for available scholarship schemes and apply for the one of their choices.
How To Obtain Scholarship Application Form
The scholarship application form comes basically in two ways, some forms are available on the internet, while some are obtained handy at a specified location.
However, to obtain the scholarship form, follow the instruction given by the facilitators of the scholarship scheme. For those on the internet, log on the website provided to fill and complete the form.
Procedures for Application
Obtain the scholarship form. Some may incur a fee while others are absolutely free.
- Complete the form with accurate information’s as it is required of you
- Attached the necessary/ required documents at appropriate places
- Wait for an invitation for screening from the facilitators
- While waiting, prepare for the screening. The screening is often a written test. You contact previous beneficiaries of the scheme for more guidance if you know any.
- Attend the screening and wait for the notification or result.
Qualifications for Scholarship
Those seeking to apply for a scholarship must possess the following;
Must be students with Good academic records in their currents schools. For undergraduates, basically, a minimum of second class upper as at the time of application. For the junior category, they must be students known for outstanding performance intelligence in the school.
Must be a student without records of bad conducts or irregularities in the school. This sometimes disqualifies candidates from being considered for the scholarship program.
Must be prepared for the scholarship test or the exams and must perform well during the exams.
⇒ I believe this brain teaser guide was helpful right?… If yes, don’t hesitate to share!