Practical Ways of Reading Textbook | Reading textbook is very different from reading for leisure. When one is reading a novel be it; action, adventure, crime, and detectives or romantic novel. He or she has to read the novel from cover to cover but educational reading is a more selective and careful process. The reader will often only study the chapters/pages that are related to the topic he or she is researching on.
Reading textbook effectively has to do with surveying the textbook(s) carefully and learn to ask a reasonable question, that will also give the reader appropriate understanding of the subject. It is only by this; one can do more research in order to seek more knowledge. Regular reading helps to improve someone reading skills because such a person will be more focused and this will reduce unnecessary reading time.
WHY IS READING TEXTBOOK VITAL?
The importance of reading textbook with rapt attention can’t be overemphasized. A man once said, “Reading makes a full-grown man”. It is by this that a person can gain access to basic information that is happening all over the world and different spheres of life. Reading textbook has to do with the maximum concentration that will strengthen much of your educational study including project researching and assignment writings, revising for exams and following up on materials taught in lectures. Reading textbook has to do with motivation because it can be so cumbersome due to the size of the textbook and also the need to find basic information in order to develop ideas and arguments.
WHY IS READING IMPERATIVE?
Before you start reading a textbook, it is important to think through how much detail is necessary and the amount of time you can devote to reading the big textbook. This will help you fixed genuine goals of what you can achieve within a specified time. It is helpful to approach a textbook by developing an elementary understanding of the subject before going into more research.
TIPS FOR READING TEXTBOOK
1. Choose a place that has minimum distractions when reading a textbook.
2. Try to sit down in the same place each time you read that particular textbook.
3. Read when you have ultimate attention, not when you’re very tired or there will be distraction reading the textbook.
4. Avoid reading a textbook that is challenging at the end of a study session. Always read that challenging textbook first or second.
5. Have a schedule so that you can plan your study and reading time for all your classes.
6. Reward yourself after reading a textbook.
7. Don’t move your fingers along the lines as you are reading the big textbooks.
8. Don’t move your head reading textbook from right to left as you read.
9. Your reading list should provide a very good preliminary point for reading materials relevant to your course.
10. Select what you read and always have it at the back of your mind, you can’t read everything. Don’t spend time reading in detail without first checking how relevant the text is. You can do this by:
- Surveying the textbook to see the table of contents, chapter titles, abstracts, and outlines. This will help you evaluate the material so you can choose if it has the information you want.
- Skimming to get an overall feel for the text. Look over the material swiftly for crucial words, titles and illustrations. You can acquire an impression of what the text is about by reading the initial and last sentence of each paragraph.
11. Reading critically is a comprehensive way of a reading textbook. After determining if it is important, you will need to analyze and evaluate what you are reading. With these useful questions:
- Who is the main author?
- What is the central argument?
- What proof does the author use to back up his argument?
- Are in support of the author, if so why? /why not?
Read Also: The most educated States in Nigeria
12. Make notes so that you can recall certain key points. So that users can use them when writing doing assignments and revising for exams.
13. Take a periodical break when you are reading textbook in order to focus well.
14. Read in a good environment. That has fewer distractions so you can have maximum concentration.
15. Use an effective reading approach in reading a textbook such as SQ3R (Survey, Question, Read, Recall and Review). This is a worthwhile method that will help you read your textbook with determination.