Study Abroad | Are you a Nigerian young school leaver who wish to study abroad? If yes then this information is for you. This information is meant to guide you on how to gain easy admission into foreign universities for studies. Study Abroad.
Foreign university admission makes provision for admission for both first degree programs as well as postgraduate programs.
Before planning to study abroad, consider the following;
Be financially ready; ensure that you have enough money because admission into the foreign university is more expensive than that of the local university, everyth8ing is done with the use of their recognized currency, therefore, be financially prepared. This will also include money for the procurement of visas to enable travel.
Intellectual preparation; studying abroad does add special credit to students but only to students who have proven their academic worth in their various fields of endeavor., therefore, if you are not intellectually capable, do not think of going there because this could amount to waste of financial resources.
See also: Visa’s Requirement By Continents
Be Weather friendly; admission into a foreign university implies a change in a familiar atmospheric condition. This might have to do with the impact of foreign weather on the student’s health condition. Ensure that you can take anything and survive strongly.
Language knowledge or efficiency; before applying for foreign admission, you must know to decide on the specific institution you want to study in and know their means of learning. Some of the foreign universities lecture with their local language and you must have knowledge of the language or be ready to take up a preliminary course on the language.
Check the available programs; before planning to study abroad, check the institution of your interest and pick a program from the list of their available programs.
The following are easy ways on how to study abroad, they are;
- Apply for admission through your current university; this applies basically to students who are already studying in their countries, this is otherwise known as booking a program. This can be done through programs that have a direct linkage with foreign universities.
Applying through one’s current institution may also mean that the institution founded in a particular country has its mother institution abroad. Therefore, studying there can easily be done through one’s current institution.
You can find out the availability of such programs by reaching out to your institution, 0r such as discovering such status by doing the same.
- Apply through a foreign university admission agency; there are foreign university admission agencies who act as middlemen between the universities and foreign applicants. These agencies exist and are recognized by the government for genuine purposes. However, in applying through such agencies, candidates should be careful of fraud and if not sure of the agency, it is advised that the process should be discontinued to avoid scam.
- Apply to the Institution Directly; you can also study abroad by applying to the institution directly. To curtail the stress of going through other suggested channels, applicants can apply to the school directly.
- Apply through Scholarship Programs; some of the foreign students got admission through a foreign scholarship program. You can either apply for a fully-funded scholarship or tuition-free scholarship. These scholarships are often open to all and applications are received from candidates of various continents and countries. Some are fortunate to be selected for the award of scholarship which offers them admission into a foreign university.
Procedures for Application
The procedures attached to foreign admission in one school may defer from the other. However, no procedure is insurmountable.
Almost all the application is done online through the school’s official website. The application should be sent as early as possible to the institution for early consideration.
In some cases, two applications will be sent to the school, one for the course and one for the school. And the following documents must be attached to the application;
- A form of identification, basically passport photograph
- Statement of purpose
- Curriculum vitae(CV)
- Letters of recommendation
- Transcript certificate, and secondary school certificates.
- Prove of language proficiency, either English or recommended language
- Admission test result
Some schools may put you through the pre-admission tests, get prepared in case of need arises. For more clarity on the procedures, since the universities have different methods for application, we advise that you contact the University for More Information.
Letter of Acceptance
Students offered admission into foreign universities are often notified with a letter of acceptance. Once this arrives, proceed to do the following;
- Payment of recommended fees
- Process the study visa and other necessary documents.
- Apply for accommodation, if the school offers such or book for accommodation
- Begin preparation for traveling.
Studying overseas is worth it when you have all it takes to do so. There are some intrinsic benefits to studying overseas. They are; you gain more professional knowledge, The duration of study is faster as some courses are studied for three years and, Candidates may be fortunate to gain employment during or after the studies. But this depends on the country.
Share this information with your friends. Also, feel free to ask any questions pertaining to this Page Don’t forget to like us on Facebook Page