No win no fee cases are some of the most rewarding for an injured party. There’s no hassle that comes along with getting compensation from a defendant, and it’s usually very easy to get the cash you’re after.
However, if you’ve never been involved in a case like this before, you might be wondering what kind of personal injury solicitor is the best for your needs. Keep reading to learn everything you need to know about finding a top attorney who will take on your case without paying any fees upfront.
What is a no win no fee agreement?
No win no fee agreements are a type of legal agreement in which a lawyer never charges a client for their services, only to later collect a percentage of any recovery. Naturally, some law firms will state that they offer winnable cases for free, but in fact, charge a percentage.
There is no single law governing the practice of law and no way for consumers to know for sure whether the firm they are inquiring with is taking a no win no fee agreement. This means that there is no way to know whether a certain law firm is legitimate or not.
However, most legal experts recommend staying as far away from no win no fee agreements as possible, as they are often posed by unqualified law firms and are used by unscrupulous insurance companies to gain a competitive advantage over other potential defendants.
3 Types of No Win No Fee Agreements
- Ad-hoc: In this kind of agreement, the lawyer charges their usual rates and fees upfront, and then collects a percentage of any recovery made by the plaintiff, meaning they have no assurance of winning the case.
- Ad-hoc Retainer: This arrangement is the same as the ad-hoc arrangement, except the lawyer charges a monthly retainer for their services and then charges the percentage of recovery, which is paid upfront.
- Ad-hoc Contingency: In this arrangement, the lawyer charges a percentage of any recovery made by the plaintiff, but the agreement is contingent on winning the case.
Considerations for choosing a No Win No Fee solicitor
No win no fee agreements are not suitable for all cases. If you are in a situation where you know you are likely to win your case and recover a sizable amount, a no win no fee agreement may be a good fit for you. If your case is more of a longshot and there is a low likelihood you will walk away with any money at all, then a no win no fee agreement isn’t a good idea.
Choosing a lawyer who offers a no win no fee agreement means you don’t have to pay upfront, but you also don’t have any guarantee that your case will win. If you have a low chance of winning, but have a high chance of receiving a large amount of compensation in the event of a win, this type of agreement is a good choice.
Finding a No Win No Fee Personal Injury Solicitor
Finding a top personal injury solicitor who offers a no win no fee agreement will usually require some digging. Many lawyers will not advertise that they offer no win no fee agreements, and if you don’t do your research, you may not find out about a firm that takes this approach.
The best way to find a no win no fee agreement personal injury solicitor is to ask around. Ask friends and family if they know any personal injury lawyers who offer no win no fee agreements, and if you don’t know anyone with a case, ask on social media, forums, and blogs.
If you don’t find a suitable lawyer using this method, keep an eye out for any personal injury solicitors that advertise in local papers, online forums, and blogs. You can also use an online search engine to look for personal injury firms that have an “attorney” or “lawyer” in their name.
Factors to look for when choosing a No Win Fee Lawyer
- Rack Record: A top personal injury solicitor with a track record of successfully winning cases, along with receiving a large amount of compensation in return for the client’s money, should be your top consideration when choosing a solicitor.
- Location: Choosing a location that is convenient to the client is always a good idea, as some places have a much better reputation than others for successfully winning cases and collecting large amounts of compensation.
- Fees: All law firms charge different amounts of money for their services, and it’s important to choose a firm that charges a reasonable amount of money for their work. A top no win no fee attorney will likely charge a reasonable amount of money for their services.
- Experience: A top personal injury solicitor with a lot of experience winning cases will be able to offer the best advice, and help you make the best decision regarding your case.
Types Of Personal Injury Claim Can You Make Use Of A No Win No Fee Agreement
A no win no fee agreement could be used for any type of personal injury claim, including:
- Medical negligence
- Serious injury
- Road traffic accidents
- Accidents or illness abroad
- Accidents at work
- Industrial diseases
- Asbestos related diseases
- Accidents in public places.
What Happens If Case is Lost
If your claim is unsuccessful you won’t pay anything. You won’t charged, while your insurance policy will cover your opponent’s legal fees and costs.
No win no fee agreements are best used by parties who know that they are likely to win their case, along with receiving a large amount of compensation. This is typically a high-end client who has enough money to pay a top-tier personal injury lawyer a percentage of the recovery.
You can also use these criteria to help you decide if you are a good candidate for a no win no fee agreement. If you know you are going to win your case, but have a low chance of collecting any money, these agreements are not a good fit for you.