Sweden Visa For UK Residents | UK citizens who hold a full UK passport can travel to Sweden visa-free. On the other hand, many non-EU nationals who reside in the UK are still required to get a Schengen visa to travel to Sweden.
In recent years, following visa liberalization policies for non-EU countries, the number of countries whose nationals require visas to travel to Europe has slightly dropped. Here is the list of nationalities that are still required to get a Schengen Visa to visit Sweden and other Schengen states.
Below you can find more information about the requirements and guidelines on how to apply for a Sweden visa from the UK.
Most Read: Sweden Visa Lottery Application 2022 – Apply Here Online
Who can apply for a Sweden Visa from within the UK?
Citizens of these countries residing in the UK and planning to visit Sweden are required to get a Swedish visa in order to be able to enter Sweden. The main requirement is that you must have a UK residence permit valid for at least another three more months beyond the date you plan to leave Sweden / the Schengen Area.
Use the Schengen visa eligibility checker tool to find out if you qualify to apply for a visa to Sweden from the UK.
If you have a 3 month UK visa you can extend it for three more months in order to be eligible to apply for a Swedish Schengen visa from within the UK. You must apply for an extension before your visa expires and while you’re still in the UK.
You should apply for a visa via the appropriate Swedish Embassy/Consulate or Swedish visa application center in the UK if:
- Sweden is the only Schengen country you plan on visiting
- Sweden is your main destination (the country you will be staying the longest in)
- Sweden is the first Schengen country you are visiting, since you will be spending equal amount of days in each Schengen country you plan visiting
In case you plan on staying in Sweden for more than 90 days you must apply for a Sweden residency permit, not a Sweden Schengen visa.
Please, note that if you are not a resident in the United Kingdom you should apply at the Swedish Embassy/Consulate/VAC in your country of residence.
Sweden Visa application documents and requirements for UK residents
The following list of documents are required in order to obtain a Sweden visa in the UK:
- A valid passport or Travel document. Please make sure:
- Your passport has been issued within the previous 10 years,
- Your passport has 2 full blank pages, one for the visa stamp and an additional spare page,
- Your passport will be valid for at least three (3) months after the date you exit the Schengen Area.
- A valid UK residence permit or other form of Identity Card:
- The UK residence permit must be endorsed in the actual passport (or on a new biometric ID card).
- The UK residence permit must be valid for at least another three more months beyond the date you plan to leave France.
- One Swedish Schengen visa application form. Filled out completely and signed by the applicant.
- One photo, which must be glued on the application form. Applications with stapled photographs will be rejected.
- Biometric data (This requirement only applies if you haven’t provided biometric data within the last 59 months):
- Fingerprints (Note: Children under the age of 12 are exempted from providing fingerprints)
- Copy of the passport bio page where the photo is included.
- A cover letter explaining the purpose of the visit to Sweden.
- Proof of travel arrangements: Round trip flight/travel reservations or other proof of intended transport and complete itinerary of your visit to Sweden (if several Schengen States will be visited or if the trip covers several Schengen States and non-Schengen countries).
- Schengen Travel Insurance. Stating that you are covered in case of a medical emergency and repatriation not just in Sweden but in the whole Schengen zone (minimum coverage of € 30.000).
- Holders of diplomatic passports and family members of EU/EEA citizens are exempted from providing proof of travel medical insurance
- Proof of accommodation in Sweden:
- Evidence of a hotel booking or rental agreement, or
- Invitation from your Swedish host (family member, friend) with a copy of their passport
- Proof of financial subsistence:
- A recent statement of UK bank account for the last three months that shows SEK 450 (40£) per day per day spent in Sweden, or
- Proof of sponsorship, or
- Traveller’s cheques
Note: Cash is not considered proof of financial subsistence.
Note: Photocopies of the original documents should also be submitted and documents should not be more than one month old.
See also: DV-2023 Diversity Visa Lottery are now Open – Apply Here Online | Green Card Lottery | Diversity Visa Lottery | DV 2023
The documents listed above are documents required in all cases, regardless of the purpose of your visit in Sweden. Depending on your employment status, here is a list of additional documents that are required for your visa application:
For the UK employees:
- Employment contract
- Current bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Leave permission from the employer
- Income Tax Return (ITR) form or Certificate of Income Tax deducted at the source of salary
For the self-employed:
- A copy of your business license
- Company bank statement of the latest 6 months
- Income Tax Return (ITR)
For foreign students in the UK:
- Proof of enrollment
- No-objection certificate from school or university
- Pension statement of the latest 6 months
If unemployed and married to an EU citizen:
- A recent (less than 3 months old) Confirmation of Employment letter from their spouse’s employer stating the position held within the company as well as the starting date,
- Spouse’s valid passport
- An officially translated marriage certificate. The translation must be in English or Swedish and must be certified as a true copy by the Embassy of the country where the marriage took place or by the Legalization Bureau of the Foreign Office in UK
Requirements for children under the age of 18
Parents or a an adult guardian are required to accompany their under-age children at the application center at the Embassy of Sweden in London. Also, minors who are granted a Sweden visa are not allowed to travel to Sweden by themselves. They should be accompanied by an adult during their stay in Sweden.
Required documents for visa application for underage children
- Proof of parent’s regular income (work contract with specified monthly income or a bank statement or business license)
- Notarized travel permission from parent (parental travel consent)
- If one parent lives in another country – their notarized parental travel consent
- A school attendance letter issued by the Head of School.
- Family Appendix
All documents provided should be legalized and be in of the of the following languages:
To find more about the documentation needed for applying for a visa to Sweden click here: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/sweden-visa/
How to apply for a Sweden Visa from the UK?
The application procedure for a Sweden visa in UK is pretty similar to that in every other country in the world.
In order to apply for a Swedish visa in UK you must follow these steps:
- Figure out which Swedish short-stay visa type you need. There are different Swedish Schengen visa types depending on your purpose of traveling from UK to Sweden.
- Find out where you need to apply for a Swedish visa in UK.
- Decide when to apply for a Swedish visa in UK. The earliest time you can lodge your Swedish visa application in UK is 3 months before your planned trip while, the latest time to is at least 15 working days before you intend to travel from UK to Sweden.
- Collect the mandatory Swedish visa documents for UK Residents.
- Appoint an interview at Swedish visa application center in UK. You may make a Swedish visa appointment online, through phone, or on person. Below in this article, you can find more information on how to make a Swedish visa appointment.
- Attend the interview on the day of your appointment. Show up on time and try not to be nervous. Remember that the interview is a crucial part of your Swedish visa application.
- Pay the Swedish visa fee.
- Wait for the processing of your Swedish visa.
Booking a Swedish visa appointment in London
To apply for a Sweden visa you must book an appointment with the Swedish Embassy in London. You can do either of the following:
- Book an appointment directly at the Swedish Embassy in London. The should be booked by sending a letter, along with the following documents:
- Passport copy
- UK residency permit
- Stamped Addressed Envelope (SAE)
- Through VFS Centres
- Holders of diplomatic passports are not required to book an appointment to submit the visa application.
- The consular section is open Monday to Friday (except on Wednesdays and public holidays) from 9:00AM to 11:00AM
Sweden visa application processing time in UK
You can apply for a Swedish visa 6 months before your planned trip. However, since the processing takes a minimum of 15 days since the day of your application, you should submit your Swedish visa application at least 15 days before you plan on leaving the UK.
Note: It’s recommended by the Swedish Embassy in London that you apply 20 work days (4 weeks) before the day you leave for Sweden in order to avoid unwanted complications.
Sweden Visa fees for UK residents
Since Sweden is a Schengen state, visa fees are the same as any other Schengen visa. These are the costs of a Sweden Schengen visa when applying from UK:
|Schengen Visa Category (by age)||Fee in UK Pound||Fee in Euro|
|Adult||73 £||80 €|
|Child between 6-12 years of age||36.5 £||40 €|
|Child younger than 6 years of age||Free||Free|
Note: Keep in mind that these fees may change depending on currency fluctuations and can be paid only in UK Pounds. Payments can be made in cash and by credit or debit card
Visa fee exemptions
The following categories of applicants are exempted of Visa fees only:
- Children younger than 6 years of age
- Family members of an EU/EEA national
- Documents required for exemption:
- Original Marriage Certificate, or
- Civil Partnership Certificate
- Original full Birth Certificate
- EU/EAA national’s passport.
- Documents required for exemption:
- Persons travelling for the purpose of study or educational training
- School pupils.
- Undergraduates and postgraduates
- These persons must be accompanied by their teachers/professors
- Researchers from third countries
- Relatives of citizens of the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, if they travel alone with a residence card of an EEA citizen. (Source: swedenabroad.com)
Sweden Visa fee discounts
For children aged between 6 and 12 years and nationals of the following countries the visa fee amounts to 35 € (30 £):
- Bosnia and Herzegovina*
- North Macedonia*
*Note: This only applies to those nationals who do not hold a biometric passport.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sweden Visas
Will I get my visa at the end of the process?
No, you are not guaranteed you will get a visa despite the fees you paid. Also, you should keep in mind that all fees are non-refundable. Should you decide to apply after your visa is refused you will have to make those payments again.
What can I do my visa is refused?
If your visa is refused you can apply again at any time. However, you should pay attention to the refusal reasons mentioned in the letter of refusal in order to make amends where needed.
You can also appeal against the decision within three weeks from the day the decision is made. The appeal must be sent in writing to the Embassy of Sweden of the Migration Agency. The letter must be signed by the applicant in order to be taken into consideration.
According to the Embassy of Sweden in London the appeal letter must contain:
- The decision you want to appeal against
- Your demand regarding the decision
- Name, date of birth, address, phone number
- Any oother proof that can be used to support your case
Here are three ways you can appeal against the decision:
- Submit the appeal yourself
- Authorize a family member
- Authorize a licensed official
Can I get my visa on the same day that I apply?
Normally, your visa cannot be issued on the same day that you apply. However, in cases of extreme medical emergency, you are able to obtain a Sweden visa on the same day you apply. You should keep in mind that the Embassy has the final word on this matter.
How can I extend my Sweden visa?
You are qualified to apply for an extension of your Swedish visa only if one of the following reasons applies to you: This is possible in the following cases:
- You are unable to depart Sweden due to unforeseen circumstances that directly affect travelling.
- Extreme medical emergencies or loss in the family
Note: You can only apply for an extension of your Swedish Schengen visa if the combined duration of stay in the Schengen area is not more than 90 days within a period of 180 days.